Sr Network Engineer
Company: Michaels Stores
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Support Center - Irving
We're here for the Makers! Come be a part of the team where
innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting
missions in the world!
Michaels is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are here for all Team
Members and all Makers to create, innovate and be better
To review a comprehensive list of benefits, please visit Michaels
CO, CT and select New York cities only - To review pay ranges for
the position you are applying for, please visit Michaels Pay Ranges
- CO, CT, Ithaca and select New York cities only.
The Sr. IT Engineer - Network is responsible for the planning,
engineering and support of Michaels network infrastructure. This
position is the primary resource for implementation, validating
designs with the Architecture team, maintenance and support of
Michaels systems for a designated support area.
Network Adds, Moves, Changes and Project Support
* Consult with architecture and project (infrastructure and
application) teams to understand requirements for new network
* Provide Level of Effort estimates, hardware & software estimates
and detail tasks lists to project managers to incorporate in their
project plans and budgets.
* Perform network builds necessary to support project requirements
while meeting approved project budgets and timelines.
* Ensure all builds meet approved standards and requirements.
* Provide peer reviews of builds performed by other engineers.
* Provide requirements to technical teams to support build
including power, cabling, server, storage and security
* Document new builds and upgrades to support effective transition
* Partner with support team to ensure new capabilities are smoothly
integrated into established operational process including
monitoring, maintenance, backups, and failover / disaster
* Provide support to both application and infrastructure project
teams to ensure systems are correctly sized and meet configuration
* Responsible for detailing tasks and level of effort for project
managers to include in an overall project scope.
3rd Level Support
* Serve as point of escalation for complex systems & network
* Subject matter expert in all of the following technologies
required: Routers, Firewalls, Switches, Wireless, Load Balancers,
and other network related devices.
* Serve as technical liaison for 3rd party, managed service support
* Proactively manage the technologies within their assigned areas
including providing recommendations for improving service and
escalating areas that may impact service availability.
* Research and bring to manager operational best practices for
monitoring and maintaining network health.
Internal Consulting / Team Liaison
* Partner with Architecture and Support teams to establish and
revise standards and processes as required.
* Develop and recommend technical strategies and solutions to
maintain and/or expand system functionality in conjunction with the
* Review and analyze existing network infrastructure services for
opportunities to reduce costs through removal of excess or
* Function as the delegate and liaison for the manager covering
their areas of expertise.
* Primary support to manager for vendor relationship for network
services, support, and equipment.
* Identify opportunities for contract negotiations and identifying
errors or omissions in billing.
* Serve as primary contact for Network Expense Management
* Establish and ensure vendor accountability for service levels
with key providers.
* Partner with providers to ensure that data and voice network
technology is positioned to meet current and anticipated demand for
* Work closely with the Network Expense Management vendor on
provisioning and decommissioning network services for new and
closing stores/ facilities.
Other duties as assigned
* BS/BA degree required
* Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline
Minimum Special Certifications or technical skills
* Varies by area of support
Minimum Type of experience the job requires
* Thorough understanding of networking technologies, including
administration of enterprise routers, switches, firewalls and load
balancers (OSI layers 4-7)
* Comprehensive knowledge of OSI layer 3 networks and protocols,
including broadcast, multicast, any cast concepts, routing,
* Expertise with various routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, EIGRP)
* Understanding of network security methodologies as a whole,
including but not limited to: ACLs, stateful firewalls, VPNs
(tunneling, IPsec, PPTP, etc.)
* Fluency with common network admin and intrusion detection tools
such as Rancid, OpenNMS, Nagios, SolarWinds, Ethereal/Wireshark,
Nmap, Nessus, Netflow, Syslog, Radius, etc.
* Administrative scripting skills (Perl, Power shell, UNIX shell
scripting, Python, etc.
* Master's degree preferred or equivalent work experience
implementing and operating enterprise level data center and/or
Preferred Special Certifications or technical skills
* CCNP, CCIE R&S certifications preferred
Applicants in the U.S. must satisfy federal, state, and local legal
requirements of the job.
Keywords: Michaels Stores, Irving , Sr Network Engineer, Engineering , Irving, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!