2022-2023 SY: ESSER School Nurse (RN) (Anticipated) - School RN
Company: Irving Independent School District
Posted on: January 17, 2023
2022-2023 SY: ESSER School Nurse (RN) (Anticipated)IRVING
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
JOB TITLE: ESSER School Nurse [RN]
WAGE/HOUR STATUS: [Exempt/Nonexempt]
FUNDING SOURCE: [Local/Title/SCE/Grant Name/etc.]
REPORTS TO: Director of Clinic and Health Services / Campus
PAY GRADE: In accordance with Board approved
Teacher/Nurse/Librarian Salary Schedule
DUTY DAYS: 187
DEPARTMENT: Health Services
DATE REVISED: 11/2021
Disclaimer: This position will provide critical support to address
student learning loss due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Funds for this
position are expected to be available up to the end of the 23-24
school year. In addition to other specified conditions of
employment, the applicant understands that no guarantee of
continued employment, beyond the availability of the funds, is
expressed or implied by Irving Independent School District.
A Chapter 21 will be issued for this position.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Promote the health, well-being, and academic
achievement of all students by performing assessment of health
disorders and providing treatment and/or appropriate medical
intervention. Provide support for student educational opportunities
through health education, health promotion, COVID-19 mitigation and
prevention, and COVID-19 case management of health conditions which
will minimize absenteeism and create a climate of well-being for
the school community.
* Professional Registered Nurse
* Bachelor 's Degree preferred
* Valid Texas Nurse License
* Certificate from State Health Department for vision, hearing,
spinal, and Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) screening
* C.R. Instructor certification
* Physical, mental, social & emotional nursing assessment
* Nursing skills and knowledge specific to pediatric nursing
* Ability to develop student specific case management plans for
chronic and acute medical conditions
* Work autonomously in school clinical setting
At least two (2) years of experience in clinical nursing, with five
(5) years preferred
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
* Responsible for the collection and maintenance of student health
records including all student records related to COVID-19
management and adhere to medical documentation per nursing
Documentation in the electronic medical record and COVID-19
required documentation to Dallas County Health Department shall be
completed in a timely manner.
* Manage clinical functions; medical care, nursing systems,
COVID-19 communication, maintaining COVID-19 testing supplies, and
keep clinic orderly as it relates to COVID-19 symptomatic students
and daily medical visits.
* Provide individual and group health instruction including
education with instructional pamphlets and materials for
* Train, orient, supervise, and coordinate the duties of assistive
personnel; clinic assistants, clinic substitutes, student nurses,
and clinic volunteers, including all training related to
* Ensure confidentiality for all students and staff members
receiving care in school clinic.
* Maintain professional communication with faculty, staff,
students, parents, and community members related to COVID 19
evaluation and notifications.
* Provide professional guidance and support as part of the COVID-19
* Promote effective nursing practices with professional
collegiality and collaboration.
* Model health values and positive attitudes for students, staff,
* Develop and coordinate health promotion activities, including
COVID-19 education programs and general hygiene practices within
district and community.
* Promote safety by assessment of school environment and
* Recruit and prepare administrative staff to coordinate
responsibilities in disaster readiness plans and monitor for
COVID-19 trends in the school environment.
* Focus clinic operations on accomplishment of district's vision,
mission, and attainment of district goals and objectives.
* Promote wellness and offer health counseling/services to faculty,
staff, students, and parents.
* Actively participate in department and campus staff development,
faculty meetings and special events.
* Assess and develop student specific individual health plans,
implement care, and evaluate results to ensure programs meet the
health needs of students to promote learning. This includes working
with campus COVID-19 team to evaluate specific needs of students
after prolonged absences from school.
* Identify all students without state mandated screenings: vision,
hearing, scoliosis, Acanthosis Nigricans (AN), due to COVID-19
* Implement care for chronic and acute illnesses and manage first
aid procedures for injuries.
* Maintain FERPA & HIPAA regulations when communicating health
needs of students as necessary on need-to-know basis with
* Follow-up on students with excessive absenteeism to determine
medical conditions or COVID-19 related absences for medical
intervention and advocate for services when needed.
* Direct clinic management to protect students' classroom learning
* Promote and maintain high compliance rates for immunizations per
* Assist campus administrators to develop strategies to mitigate
exclusion of students for immunization non-compliance due to
* Enforce communicable disease guidelines stated by Texas
Department of Health and Board policy, including COVID-19
* Provide appropriate referrals for students needing medical
evaluation to ensure timely referrals, care and return to classroom
* Keep parents informed of student's injuries, illnesses including
COVID-19 symptoms, and develop a plan of care while student attends
* Oversee and supervise program to safely dispense medications and
provide physician directed medical procedures for chronically and
acutely ill students.
Professional Growth and Development
* Participate in professional The following are some to which
membership should be given consideration:
a. Texas School Nurse Association (TSNO) and Region X
b. National Association of School Nurses (NASN)
c. American School Health Association (ASHA)
* Subscribe to professional periodicals and introduce best
practices to professional school nursing.
* Maintain required Continuing Education Units for nursing
licensure in the State of Texas.
* Adhere to the Professional Nursing Code of Ethics, Board of
Nursing rules and regulations and district policies.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Mental Demands: Show leadership management while maintaining
emotional control under stressful and emergency situations. Ability
to communicate professionally and effectively (verbal and written);
ability to manage conflict resolution. Interpret nursing and
district policy and procedures. Work with frequent interruptions.
Occasional prolonged working hours
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard medical clinic equipment including
automated external defibrillator (AED); special needs adaptive
equipment; standard office equipment including computer and
Posture: Frequent standing, sitting, kneeling/squatting,
bending/stooping, pushing pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking, grasping/squeezing, wrist
Lifting: Frequent light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds);
may require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and position
of students with physical disabilities; controlling behavior
through physical restraint, assisting non-ambulatory students
Environment: Exposure to biological hazards, bacteria, and
Safety: Contribute to the prevention of accidents and injuries by
observing safety rules and District policy, practicing the
principles and skills taught in safety training, wearing personal
protective equipment as required, reporting injuries and incidences
immediately to the supervisor, and being proactive in the ongoing
efforts to improve and maintain workplace safety.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance
with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and foregoing
statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities
assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is an in-person position. Work from home is not allowed unless
approved by the Superintendent.
Keywords: Irving Independent School District, Irving , 2022-2023 SY: ESSER School Nurse (RN) (Anticipated) - School RN, Healthcare , Irving, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!