2023-2024 SY: School Nurse - District Wide - School RN
Company: Irving Independent School District
Posted on: September 20, 2023
2023-2024 SY: School Nurse - District WideREPORTS TO: Director
of Clinic and Health Services/ PAY GRADE: In accordance
Campus Principal with Board approved salary schedule
DEPARTMENT: Student Services & Federal Programs DUTY LENGTH: 187
PRIMARY PURPOSE: Promote the health, well-being and academic
achievement of all students by performing assessment of health
disorders and providing treatment and/or appropriate medical
intervention. Provide support for student educational opportunities
through health education, health promotion, disease prevention, and
case management of health conditions which will minimize
absenteeism and create a climate of well being for the school
* Professional Registered Nurse
* Bachelor's Degree preferred
* Valid Texas Nurse License
* Certificate from State Health Department for vision, hearing,
spinal and Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) screening
* C.P.R. Instructor certification
* Physical, mental, social & emotional nursing assessment
* Nursing skills and knowledge specific to pediatric nursing
* Ability to develop student specific case management plans for
chronic and acute medical conditions.
* Work autonomously in school clinical setting
At least two (2) years experience in clinical nursing, with five
(5) years preferred
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Responsible for collection and maintenance of student health
records and adhere to medical
documentation per nursing regulations. Documentation completed in a
timely manner in district
electronic medical program.
2. Manage clinical functions; medical care, nursing systems,
communication, maintaining supplies,
and keep clinic attractive and orderly.
3. Provide individual and group health instruction including
education with instructional pamphlets
and materials for health-related concerns.
4. Train, orient, supervise, and coordinate the duties of assistive
personnel; clinic assistants, clinic
substitutes, student nurses, and clinic volunteers.
5. Ensure confidentiality for all students and staff members
receiving care in school clinic.
6. Maintain professional communication with faculty, staff,
students, parents and community
7. Promote effective nursing practices with professional
collegiality and collaboration.
8. Model health values and positive attitudes for students, staff
9. Develop and coordinate health promotion activities within
district and community.
10. Promote safety by assessment of school environment and
11. Oversee training of Bloodborne Pathogen Control Plan to faculty
12. Recruit and prepare administrative staff to coordinate
responsibilities in disaster readiness plan.
13. Focus clinic operations toward accomplishment of district's
vision, mission and attainment of
district goals and objectives.
14. Promote wellness and offer health counseling/services to
faculty, staff, students, and parents.
15. Actively participate in department and campus staff
development, faculty meetings and special
16. Assess and develop student specific individual health plans,
implement care and evaluate results
to ensure programs meet the health needs of students to promote
17. Complete state mandated screening programs: vision, hearing,
scoliosis, Acanthosis nigricans
(AN). Dental and BMI screenings with referrals and follow-up for
all screenings and assessments
18. Implement care for chronic and acute illnesses and manage first
aid procedures for injuries.
19. Maintain FERPA & HIPAA regulations when communicating health
needs of students as
necessary on need to know basis with appropriate faculty.
20. Follow-up on students with excessive absenteeism to determine
medical status for medical
intervention and advocate for services when needed.
21. Direct clinic management to protect student's classroom
22. Promote and maintain high compliance rates for immunizations
per Texas Law
23. Assist campus administrators to develop strategies to mitigate
exclusion of student for
24. Enforce communicable disease guidelines stated by Texas
Department of Health and Board policy.
25. Provide appropriate referrals for students needing medical
evaluation to ensure timely referrals,
care and return to classroom learning.
26. Keep parents informed of student's injuries, illnesses and
included in the development of the plan
of care while attending school.
27. Oversee and supervise program to safely dispense medications
and provide physician directed
medical procedures for chronically and acutely ill students.
Professional Growth and Development:
28. Participate in professional organizations. The following are
some to which membership should be
a. Texas School Nurse Association (TSNO) and Region X
b. National Association of School Nurses (NASN)
c. Texas School Health Association (TSHA)
d. American School Health Association (ASHA)
29. Subscribe to professional periodicals and introduce best
practices to professional school nursing.
30. Maintain required CEU's for nursing licensure.
31. Attend and actively participate in professional nursing
conferences, such as TSNO, Region X,
NASN, TSHA and ASHA.
32. Adhere to the Professional Nursing Code of Ethics, Board of
Nursing rules and regulations and
Show leadership management while under stressful and emergency
situations. Ability to communicate professionally and effectively
(verbal and written); ability to manage conflict resolution.
Interpret nursing and district policy and procedures.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Frequent exposure to communicable diseases and bloodborne
pathogens. Responsibilities may require lifting, stooping, bending,
kneeling, and pushing and occasional prolonged working hours.
Keywords: Irving Independent School District, Irving , 2023-2024 SY: School Nurse - District Wide - School RN, Healthcare , Irving, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!