Big Data ETL Developer
Posted on: July 14, 2019
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting,
rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent
protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you
make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here,
youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways
you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a
company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using
and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is looking for top engineers to help build the next
generation of data analytics and software solutions within the big
data technology stack. As a big data ETL developer you will work
collaboratively on Agile Scrum teams, interacting with multiple
technology and business areas to design, develop, and deliver next
generation analytics platforms and applications. You will create
detailed technical specifications, develop application and system
code, participate in code reviews and module testing, and support
ongoing maintenance. Additional responsibilities include strategy
and design of complex projects, support of project planning, and
peer mentoring. Effective written and verbal communication is
important as you will be interfacing with many different areas
including business clients, technology, architecture, and
infrastructure services.Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for design, prototyping, and delivery of software
solutions within a big data eco-system.
- Responsible for technical ecosystem (software, interfaces,
integration) and strategic roadmaps.
- Responsible for performance tuning and scalability improvements
of distributed applications.
- Researching and evaluation of new tools and technologies to
solve business problems.
- Responsible for designing and building big data systems for
analyzing data into actionable insights.
- Responsible for development of advanced analytics solutions and
integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and
- Translate business concepts to technical implementations to
drive alignment and decision making.
- Work collaboratively on a geographically dispersed team
embracing Agile and DevOps principles.
- Participate in strategic planning discussions with technical
and non-technical partners.
- Effective and efficient utilization of programming tools and
- Mentors others and embrace continuous personal development.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Computer
- 4+ years Big Data experience with hands on coding and
development experience in an object-oriented programing language;
preference for Java, Scala and Python.
- Solid working understanding of big data ETL solutions.
- Big Data experience with Cloudera/Hortonworks, and/or EMR
- Solid development experience with Spark.
- Experience with source control solutions (ex git, GitHub,
- Familiarity, and comfort with, participating in a
high-performing geographically dispersed team.
- Open to new ideas and technologies with a strong desire to
- Ability to analyze and solve problems in a creative and
- Demonstrated experience with sound technical design and
- Experience with Agile development methodologies and tools that
enable a team to iterate quickly on product changes, developing
user stories, and working through backlog.
- Ability to research and document project design, approach and
- Ability to engage subject matter experts and translate business
goals into actionable solutions.
- Ability to work effectively with business and technical
- Ability to identify and drive aligned technical direction with
- Ability to meet deadlines, goals and objectives.
- Proven track record of working collaboratively in a complex
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Insurance industry experience.
- Experience with streaming toolsets such as Kafka, Flink, Spark
Streaming, and/or Nifi/StreamSets.
- Experience developing large-scale distributed
- Hands-on experience developing in, and integrating with, open
source software platforms and languages.
- Knowledge and experience in the following are highly
- RESTFUL Web-services
- Spring Framework
- MS Teams
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit
to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a
competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards
package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and
dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus,
youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance
your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter,
Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for
employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA)
1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a
discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a
prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by
refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a
veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the
Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information
regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information
regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified
individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a
veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Keywords: Allstate, Irving , Big Data ETL Developer, IT / Software / Systems , Irving, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!