AVID Tutor 21-22 SY
Company: Irving Independent School District
Posted on: June 12, 2021
PRIMARY PURPOSE: AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination,
is an elementary through postsecondary college readiness system
that is designed to increase school-wide learning and performance.
The AVID system accelerates student learning, uses research-based
methods of effective instruction, provides meaningful and
motivational professional development, and acts as a catalyst for
systemic reform and change. The AVID tutor is essential to the
success of the AVID elective class where they facilitate student
access to rigorous curriculum. AVID tutors are typically students
from colleges and universities and receive formal training to
facilitate the Socratic AVID tutorial process. AVID tutors also
serve as role models and take an active part in developing the
academic and personal strengths of the AVID student.
- Enrollment in a college or university, preferred
- 2.5 college GPA, evidenced by college transcript,
- Strong math and English Language Arts background, evidenced by
- Successful completion of 16 hours of AVID Tutor Training
provided by Irving ISD
Minimum Experience: None
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Maintain a positive and professional attitude.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for
AVID students to follow.
- Take responsibility for tone and atmosphere of the AVID
- Wear appropriate attire at all times.
- Inform teacher in advance of absences/tardies on tutorial
- Acknowledge the individuality of all AVID students and work to
develop their academic and personal pride.
- Actively participate in collaborative groups and
- Facilitate the tutorial learning process and implement AVID
- Conduct tutorial sessions that underscore the principle of
collaborative learning and the practice of students teaching other
students through discussion of class and text notes.
- Determine from student tutorial worksheets, notes, and
discussions the concepts that need to be the focus of tutorial
- Assist students in any subject area by being familiar with
students' textbooks and materials and AVID classroom
- Assist in teaching study skills and other aspects of college
- Assist students in maintaining their AVID binders.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and
textbook notes, and learning logs.
- Participate in AVID field trips and motivational activities
- Become familiar with the specific routines and expectations of
each AVID teacher's classroom.
- Assist the AVID Coordinator as requested, such as by contacting
teachers regarding course outlines and assignment schedules,
helping with field trips, contacting parents, etc.
- Communicate regularly with the AVID coordinator/teacher
regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Adhere to district/site policies and procedures.
- Complete 16 hours of AVID tutor training.
Maintaining proper student focus and behavior during the
tutorial session and reporting serious or chronic behavior issues
to the AVID teacher.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors: Must
maintain emotional control and exercise reasoning and problem
solving skills while under stress. Must demonstrate ability to
communicate effectively (verbal and written). Should be able to
interpret procedures and analyze data for decision-making.
Safety: Contribute to the prevention of accidents and injuries
by observing safety rules and District policy. Perform all duties
in a safe and responsible manner. Be knowledgeable of safety
procedures and emergency plans in each AVID classroom in which the
The information contained in this job description is for
compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and
foregoing statements describe the general purpose and
responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Keywords: Irving Independent School District, Irving , AVID Tutor 21-22 SY, Other , Irving, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!