Director Corporate Specialty and Business Pharmacy Services
Company: Christus Health
Posted on: October 9, 2021
Senior Leader responsible for coaching, guiding, leading,
and mentoring Ministry Directors and Managers of Pharmacy to
optimize patient care delivery, pharmacy, and pharmacy practice
throughout CHRISTUS Health. Focused on pharmacy business services,
specialty pharmacy services, retail pharmacy services, acquisition,
inventory management, revenue integrity, analytics and 340B.In
alignment with system and regional leadership, supports development
of vision and direction for quality evidence-based patient-centered
care. Fosters a decentralized participative management style for
pharmacy based on a shared governance approach. Encourages
innovative leadership at the department level. Recommends or
establishes interdisciplinary teams supporting pharmaceutical care
and patient care services. Nurtures collaborative
pharmacist-physician relationships to provide safe, effective, and
efficient patient care while ensuring pharmacists feel empowered to
serve as patient representatives/advocates. Recommends changes in
resource-allocation, policy, facilities, equipment, and programs in
order to achieve the ministry’s objectives.
- Proficient in living the Mission and Core Values and
coach/mentor Ministry pharmacy leaders to optimize performance of
pharmacy in each ministry.
- Lead specialty and retail pharmacy service lines.
- Lead business development initiatives related to retail and
specialty pharmacy service lines.
- Coordinate with HR and Health Plan leadership to ensure
contracts and partnerships with prescription benefit management
companies align with the business needs of CHRISTUS.
- Ensures pharmacists, technicians, residents receive ongoing
training, competency assessment and performance improvement
activities to improve patient outcomes.
- Works collaboratively with providers to maintain an effective
(System) Hospital and Ambulatory formulary based on safety,
efficacy and cost.
- Coordinates routine operational audits of pharmacy operations
including purchasing, receiving, storage, distribution, expired and
- Coordinate and lead system strategies to manage industry drug
shortages, including development of system policies, guidance
documents, and tools. Assist with research and coordination of
supply chain alternatives (such as development of therapeutic
interchanges, conservation strategies, and supply source or
- Consult and collaborate with stakeholders such as system
pharmacists, physicians, nursing, clinical educators, legal counsel
and ethics leaders, as appropriate.
- Coordinate assistance for any corporate system or process with
a component that requires drug therapy expense or revenue
analysis.(e.g. EHR builds/alert management, clinical management of
the prescription drug benefit for employees, development of
policies, documents, tools, or education.)
- Collaborates with IT and pharmacy departments to validation new
medication build and pricing within the EHR.
- Establish and preside over a council and/or ad hoc committee(s)
of CHRISTUS Health Pharmacy Buyers, or equivalent, to develop,
implement, and assess best practices for medication services
including participation in medication collaboratives.
- Assume responsibility for ongoing benchmarking related to
clinical pharmacy services, including productivity assessment and
impact of clinical services on drug costs and medication safety
- Provides appropriate drug information services, in-service
education, communication, etc. to keep pharmacy, physician and
nursing staff aware of important changes in pharmacy policy,
procedure or Formulary status. Assist with pharmacy education
initiatives and development and/or improvement of the pharmacy
- Participates in committee meetings(s) as determined by System
Pharmacy Leadership to support organizational initiatives.
- Serves as a preceptor for pharmacy students/residents from
local colleges of Pharmacy, pharmacy residents (if applicable),
and/or other healthcare professionals in training.
- Collaborates with the other System Pharmacy Directors to review
and maintain department policies and procedures for pharmacy
services; Assists in development and implementation of accrediting
agency medication management standards. Facilitate and provide
leadership in the maintenance and development of clinical pharmacy
initiatives, policies, and protocols.
- Collaborates with other System Pharmacy Directors to coordinate
ongoing Performance Improvement/medication safety initiatives
(including Medication Use Evaluation (MUE); medication incident
reports, and adverse drug reactions (ADRs) for reporting to
appropriate committees. Participates in departmental and
interdisciplinary committees to support the organization’s efforts
for performance improvement in the areas of patient safety,
therapeutic outcomes, and cost savings.
- Enhances personal professional growth and development by
accessing educational programs, job related literature, in-service
meetings, and workshops/seminars.
- Responsible for remaining up-to-date on all Federal, State and
local laws, accreditation standards or regulatory agency
requirements, which apply to the assigned area of responsibility
and ensures compliance with all such laws and regulations.
- Will comply with all aspects of the CHRISTUS HealthCorporate
Compliance Plan to include the immediate reporting of any known or
suspected illegal or unethical behaviors, criminal conduct or
patient/employee safety violations or issues.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- MBA, MHA required; Pharm.D. preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Suite
- Knowledge of EHR and associated pharmacy platforms (Epic,
Meditech, BD Pyxis, BD Alaris, Clinical Intervention
- Knowledge of GPO, Prime Vendor and 340B management
- Experience leading pharmacy teams in a large integrated
- 5+ years of pharmacy experience required, broad practice
- 2+ years of supervisor role or equivalent practice
- 340B experience required
- Specialty pharmacy experience preferred
Keywords: Christus Health, Irving , Director Corporate Specialty and Business Pharmacy Services, Other , Irving, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!